Sunday, January 30, 2011

Week # 4: epic fail?

So this week- I chose anise- which is very close to what people know a little bit better- fennel- although apparently fennel is the "sweeter anise". Anyways- I have seen Giada (yes she is my hero) use fennel in many of her recipes and one recipe caught my eye- a citrus salad with grapefruit and orange.
How I started is by cutting the oranges and grapefruit. I "segmented" 2 of each of the fruits- which basically means that i cut in between the white membrance of the fruit so that i would have no bitter and tough parts of the fruit. Plus it looks a lot prettier- so of course i went for it. I squeezed the rest of the fruit that was left and put all of the juice into a bowl.
I washed the anise well- and cut off the green tops (you are just supposed to use the white part of this vegetable. I cut the anise very thinly and added it to the fruit.
To the citrus juice that I already had i added the juice of half of a lemon, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of one of my favorite new ingredients agave nectar, a little salt, and a little bit of pepper. That was it!
So I had some very brave taste testers- try out the salad- and the general vote was - no. Of course it put much nicer than that- and I wasn't offended it the least. In the words of my husband "your blog would be boring if everything turned out!" and to be honest- he's right! This was something I would definitely not make again- although I would do it without the fennel- and maybe search for another vegetable to step in.
That was week 4- until week 5- Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment