Sunday, January 9, 2011

Week # 2: Kale

So for week # 2, I decided to use kale. We've all had it in soups- but how boring is that. A couple of months ago while watching Giada (my female chef hero), she made kale chips. I thought it was really odd but when I passed it in the grocery store- I knew exactly what to do.

Kale is from the cabbage family- which is an umbrella type label for many many kinds of vegetables- including the one that it reminded me most of; broccoli. It is packed full of antioxidants, is a powerful anti inflammatory, and blocks the growth of cancer cells. I'm definitely serving this one at the next party- though that won't be for a while- I need a break! Another interesting fact- boiling this baby- ie: putting it in a soup- removes a lot of the important nutrients you would want to use it for! So steam, bake, grill, stir fry, etc with this- but unless your just looking for a color and texture enhancement in your next soup- it won't do much else for you!

Following Giada's recipe: I cut the hard middle stem of the kale out and cut it into 2-3 inch pieces. I washed, then dried them very well. Into a large bowl, to be drizzled with olive oil- but NOT a lot! Otherwise it will be soggy and you don't need that at all! We want crispy not soggy. About 1 tsp of olive oil- a good pinch of salt and pepper and toss very well. I spread it out evenly on a large baking sheet and baked this at 350 for about 15 to 16 minutes until I could really smell it and the edges were crisp.

I was extremely skeptical but it was delicious! Especially because I also made the lemon mayo Giada recommended. 3-4 tbsp of mayo, with half a lemon juiced, 1/2 a lemon zested, a pinch of salt and pepper- and done! Out of 4 taste testers- all 4 gave it a thumbs up- which means it is definitely worth making again! Week 2: success!

Next movie night- definitely making this one- and I won't have to feel bad about it!

Happy cooking:)

No comments:

Post a Comment