Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chicken stock from scratch- not from a carton

So today was the day for lemon and chicken soup
I bought stock- but then I thought I have everything to make the stock lets just do it:
So in a pot I put in

  • The bones from 1 used roasted chicken I just threw into a ziploc bag and then the freezer instead of the garbage after cutting the chicken off of it
  • 2 celery stalks cut in half leaves and all
  • 2 medium carrots cut in half
  • half a head of garlic, skin and all
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 leek
  • 5 whole peppercorns
  • 1 sprig of thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • chicken drippings- from another time that i did not use- so instead I froze it and it came in handy here- about a cup- with the fat skimmed off
  • about a tablespoon of Oxo chicken bouillon - if you need it - just to give you a bit more flavor
I threw this all in one big pot- covered it almost to the top with water- and let it simmer for about 3 hours! After I drained out all of the veggies and tossed them- sad but true you cant really use them at this point- I had fresh home made chicken stock and it was way better than the boxed stuff! Plus I didn't add any salt which is good for anyone watching their salt intake- it is crazy how much of that is in our every day foods! This also took barely any effort- definitely worth the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment